TEDS Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling (MA/MHC) is fully accredited by CACREP and prepares you to become a licensed mental health professional upon graduation. Through your studies, you will master methods and practices of psychology, while also learning how to ethically integrate Christian faith into theory and practice.
The Counseling Department at TEDS conducts routine outcome assessments to maintain the quality of our curriculum, serve our stakeholders and live up to our accreditation standards. To learn more, check out our assessment dashboard >>
“The counseling program at Trinity has been everything I expected and more. The mentorship of the faculty, the theological backbone of the program, and the high standard of excellence through the CACREP accreditation all make the counseling program at Trinity one of the best in the country.”
Trinity has been entrusted with the Gospel since 1897, and every day we are called to live with purpose. Our purpose as a divinity school is to know the Gospel, live the Gospel and make the Gospel known. In today’s ever-changing culture, Trinity immerses students in a community of biblical orthodoxy and practical living. The Trinity faculty is among the most widely published in evangelical academia and has deeply influenced the leaders shaping the present and future of evangelical Christianity across the globe.
Trinity is a place where you will learn how to serve the church and how to academically engage the world around you. Throughout the year we host some of the brightest minds in modern academics allowing you to learn from experts in their field.
Study with the Authors
Experience a classroom setting like none other. At Trinity, you will study under leading theologians, experts, and renowned authors in their specific field. Our professors will not only teach you but invest in your life.
“Recent years have brought to the forefront the importance of mental healthcare. The need for professional mental healthcare workers is great. The MA in Mental Health Counseling at TEDS is a CACREP-accredited program that prepares graduates for licensure and professional engagement in the ministry of counseling. Our goal is to help each student grow—professionally, socially, personally, and spiritually. We believe that professional knowledge is enhanced by knowledge of, and relationship with, our Lord. It is our intent throughout the program to have meaningful discussions about how faith, interpersonal relationship, and the practice of counseling intersect and interact.”
Did you know that nearly 95% of our students receive some form of financial aid? At Trinity we offer scholarships, grants, rebates, and other aid options to help pay for the cost of schooling. Learn more about what is available below or by contacting the Financial Aid Office at [email protected].
Highlights and Outcomes
Graduates of our MA/MHC go on to work in a variety of settings, such as private practices, social service agencies, hospitals, and college counseling centers while others move directly into doctoral programs. You will benefit from personal mentoring and teaching which prepares you to work in the field of counseling. Below are key facts about our program that we believe sets us apart.
- 17 graduates in the year 2022
- 95% of the students who actively seek employment upon completion of the program secure positions in the field of mental healthcare.
- 100% of our 2021 graduates passed the NCE exam.
- 76% of students are female.
- 39% of students are people of color.
- 75% of students graduate within three years.
The admission requirements for the MA in MHC are those described in the Admissions section of the catalog and those specific to the MA in MHC program described below:
- An undergraduate major which includes 9 hours of undergraduate psychology courses, including introduction to psychology, statistics, and either abnormal psychology or a developmental psychology course.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- An interview with the TEDS Counseling Department faculty may be required.
Biblical and Theological foundations: 12 hours
- Counseling and Theological Worldview: Faith and Practice
- Biblical Theology and Interpretation
- Theology I: The God of the Gospel
- Theology II: The Gospel of God
Mental Health Counseling Core: 33 hours
- Counseling Skills Training
- Counseling Strategies: Theory, Treatment, and Technique
- Foundations of Mental Health Counseling
- Career Counseling
Capstone in MHC: 6-8 hours
- Counseling Practicum
- Internship Option
- or International Counseling Internship
Combining unrivaled academic rigor with a wholehearted commitment to gospel fidelity and an abundance of flexible options, TEDS offers a theological education that equips you to serve Christ with wisdom and grace, in truth and love.