Doctor of Ministry
Residential | Remote
Residential | Remote
The TEDS Doctor of Ministry program invites men and women to step deeper into developing advanced ministry skills. It emphasizes continuous spiritual growth and formation, devotion to Christ, and the ability to think biblically and strategically about the issues facing our community and world. Our DMin Degree is:
- Theologically grounded
- Specific to your ministry
- Academically rigorous
- Committed to gospel fidelity
- Taught by leading faculty and missional practitioners
TEDS makes a difference
For the last 120 years, TEDS has been forming generations of ministers and scholars for the church. Here you will find mentors to guide you through your questions without telling you what to think. We are a broadly evangelical school that prides itself on theological and cultural diversity as you study under some of the most influential thinkers in Christian academia. An education at TEDS invites you into a community of alumni who are making a difference for Christ in the world.
Flexible and Achievable
Our new 3-phase, 4-year, hybrid learning model offers a combination of credits earned in the classroom, in independent guided research, and from demonstrated competencies. Course content is delivered in person and remotely in blended formats with contextualized field work. On campus courses will be offered primarily in March, and during the last two weeks of July each year.
"The DMin has been a perfect complement to my MDIV. TEDS Surrounded me with seasoned yet humble Christian mentors who are passionate about sharing the wisdom God has given to them. I'm particularly thankful for how they introduced me to vast fields of study, but always with a framework shaped by a biblical worldview"
TEDS KOREA DMIN
한국 목회학 박사과정 안내
Trinity also offers a Doctor of Ministry program in Korea. Please click the link below for more information.
Thriving Immigrant Churces Track
For immigrant church pastors and leaders in North America to engage with their unique challenges and opportunities.
A degree that helps you serve others
A DMin is the highest earned professional degree for ministry. Our graduates are skilled, passionate, nurturing, and biblically oriented pastors, chaplains, missionaries, ministry leaders, and program directors who serve around the world. A TEDS DMin will equip you to guide missional focus and change while meeting the challenges of a post-Christian context and culture.
Get the tools you need to lead
Our goal is to equip you with the necessary evaluation and assessment tools to understand your context of ministry and implement ministry-specific strategies that succeed. A TEDS DMin provides you with the opportunity to develop these skills.
- Develop INCREASED LEADERSHIP CAPACITY evidenced by the ability to deepen personal spiritual maturity, thrive in current ministry contexts, and increase the scale and scope of ministry effectiveness, responsibilities, and opportunities
- Practice INTENTIONAL THEOLOGICAL INTEGRATION evidenced by the ability to effectively engage one’s cultural context with advanced theological acumen and critical thinking
- Engage in IN-DEPTH CONTEXTUAL ANALYSIS demonstrating the ability to identify and frame crucial ministry issues and outline potential solutions
- Utilize INNOVATIVE STRATEGIC PLANNING evidenced by the ability to create and develop key ministry initiatives and achieve desired ministry goals
- Experience greater INTIMACY WITH CHRIST through a deepening love for God and others and grow in your personal spiritual maturity
Focus your program to fit your ministry context
A student will invest a significant portion of their research and coursework in an area of ministry that expresses their vision for missional renewal and transformation.
"The Doctor of Ministry Program is firmly grounded on sound theology, integrating with social sciences to address today's complex ministry challenges for pastors, missionaries, or other para-church professionals. Leaders and practitioners from all walks of ministry contexts will have opportunities to learn from the TEDS faculty and fellow co-workers in the gospel throughout the program journey and become expert practitioners upon finishing the program for the glory of God."
Did you know that nearly 95% of our students receive some form of financial aid? At Trinity we offer scholarships, grants, rebates, and other aid options to help pay for the cost of schooling. Learn more about what is available below or by contacting the Financial Aid Office at [email protected]
If you’re ready to enroll, here are the basic requirements needed to get started.
- Possess a Master of Divinity degree or other acceptable master’s level qualifications
- Have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all master’s work.
- Have had at least three years of consistent full-time ministry experience after receiving the Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent. (Exceptions may occasionally be made)
- Recommendations from four of the following people: Ministry supervisor, Ministry colleague, Lay leader, Chairman of church board, professor, denominational official OR professional acquaintance.
- Since the program is heavily dependent on computer skills, applicants should be able to use a current word processing program. Ownership of a desktop or laptop computer is required, along with Internet and email capabilities.
Biblical and Systematic Theology Core: 9 hours
- Biblical Theology and Interpretation
- Theology I: The God of the Gospel
- Theology II: The Gospel of God
Concentration Core: 19-26 hours
- Global Theologies
- Use of Scripture in Theology
- At least one course in Biblical Theology
- At least two courses in Historical Theology and/or Contemporary Theology
Field Education and Capstone: 0-3 hours
- Comprehensive exam
- Two major papers OR thesis project
You’ll need to meet the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations in obtaining an F-1 (student) visa. This requires additional admissions information and paperwork. International applicants whose first language is not English must also submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
All international DMin program students, including Visiting DMin students and students from Canada, are now required to enter the United States with an F-1 visa and must comply with the visa requirements.
The DMin is not a residential program. Classes are offered as multi-day intensive courses. We hold courses each year on the Deerfield campus. Multiple courses are offered primarily in March and two weeks in July, with some course offerings in other months.
DMin students commuting to the Deerfield Campus on a course-by-course basis must also obtain an F-1 visa. Students who enter the United States to pursue the Doctor of Ministry degree without the F-1 visa potentially jeopardize their ability to complete the degree and reenter the United States. F-1 visas will remain valid as long as reentry into the United States for the purposes of study occurs at least once every five (5) months. A new visa will be required if reentry does not occur within this time period. Hence, full-time progress for DMin international nonresidential students is defined as taking at least one course in each of the three sessions (Fall, Spring, Summer) per year.
Combining unrivaled academic rigor with a wholehearted commitment to gospel fidelity and an abundance of flexible options, TEDS offers a theological education that equips you to serve Christ with wisdom and grace, in truth and love.