John D. Woodbridge, PhD
Research Professor of Church History and the History of Christian Thought
Faculty Since 1970
BA, Wheaton College
MA, Michigan State University
MDiv, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Doctorat de Troisième Cycle, Universite de Toulouse, France
Dr. Woodbridge has taught history at the University of Toulouse, Northwestern University, and Hautes Etudes, Sorbonne, and his areas of expertise include evangelicalism, fundamentalism, the history of the Bible’s authority, the French enlightenment and religion, the French Hugenots, and the origins of higher criticism. He speaks fluent French.
He and his wife, Susan, reside in Lake Forest, Illinois. They have three children. In his spare time, Dr. Woodbridge enjoys music.
The History of Biblical Authority (Zondervan, 1982)
The Evangelicals (Abingdon, 1975)
Revolt in Prerevolutionary France: The Conspiracy of the Prince de Conti Against Louis XV (1755-1757) (Johns Hopkins, 1995)
Ambassadors for Christ (Moody, 1994), editor
More Than Conquerors (Moody 1992), editor
Great Leaders of the Christian Church (Moody 1988), editor
Renewing Your Mind in a Secular World (Moody, 1985), editor
Letters Along the Way (Crossway, 1993) co-authored with D.A. Carson
Scripture and Truth (Zondervan, 1983), editor
Awards, Affiliations, and Achievements
- Dr. Woodbridge has received four Gold Medallion Awards for his works related to Christian history and biography. He has also served as a senior editor for Christianity Today and has also published academic articles and books in Europe.
- Four Gold Medallion Awards for his works related to Christian history and biography.
- Senior editor, Christianity Today magazine
- Various academic articles and books in Europe
- Postgraduate study with fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council of Learned Studies, and the Herzog August Bibliothek in Germany.
- Fulbright fellowship, 1965
- In 2017, Dr. Woodbridge received an honorary Doctorate in Theology from Colorado Christian University.
- Member, American Society of Church History
- Member, American Society of 18th Century Studies
- Member, American Catholic Historical Association
- Member, French Historical Society
- Member, French-Société française d'etude du 18 siècle