Eric Rivera, PhD
Faculty Since 2022
Assistant Professor of Pastoral Theology, Chair of the Pastoral Theology Department
PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
MDiv. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
B.A. Moody Bible Institute
Eric Rivera is passionate for raising pastoral leaders and mobilizing the church to be on mission especially in an urban context. He is the Lead Pastor at The Brook (EFCA), a multiethnic church in Chicago. After having served as an Associate Pastor for five years, he and a devoted team planted The Brook in 2013. Eric, his wife Erikah, and their three children live in Chicago’s northwest side Montclare neighborhood.
- Rivera, Eric. Christ is Yours: The Assurance of Salvation in the Puritan Theology of William Gouge. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2019.
- Unexpected Jesus: How the Resurrected Christ Finds us, Meets us, and Heals us. Bellingham, WA: Kirkdale Press, forthcoming 2022.
- Rivera, Eric. “Planting a New Church,” in One Volume Seminary: A Complete Ministry Education From the Faculty of Moody Bible Institute and Moody Theological Seminary. Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, forthcoming 2022.
- Rivera, Eric and Rivera, Erikah, “Building up Your Spouse” in The Story of Us: A Couples Devotional. Little Rock, AR: FamilyLife, 2019.
- Rivera, Eric. “The First Mexican Protestant Loved the Bible,” Christianity Today. February, 2019. https://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2019/february/first-mexican-protestant-bible.html
- “The Legacy of Scripture in the Latino(a) Protestant Church in America,” Church Leaders. September, 2021 (originally published on Ed Stetzer’s “The Exchange” blog with Christianity Today in 2017). https://churchleaders.com/voices/405790-latino-protestant-church.html
- “Stay in Chicago,” Legacy Disciple. September, 2018. https://legacydisciple.org/index.php/2018/09/26/stay-in-chicago/
- Rivera, Eric. Review of John Coffey and Paul C.H. Lim eds., The Cambridge Companion to Puritanism in Fides Et Historia 42, no. 1 (December 1, 2010): 75-77.
Affiliations & Achievements
- Meeter Center Research Fellowship
H. Henry Meeter Center for Calvin Studies, 2016
- Pastoral Award
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2006-2007