TIU is where you can
learn and grow in your faith

International Students

Trinity welcomes students from all over the world to our campus. International students are valuable members of the Trinity community, and we are committed to serving them through the enrollment process. In addition to the regular application process outlined above, international applicants must also consider the following items: financial requirements and visa requirements.
Here you can find information specific to you as well as answers to your questions regarding how to apply to Trinity or check on an already completed application. Throughout the application process you can come back here to find the next steps you need to take. We are here for you every step of the way!

Financial Requirements

If an international applicant is accepted, formal evidence must then be submitted through Trinity’s Certificate of Finance (COF) form that adequate financial resources for both educational and living expenses have been identified by the applicant. Please contact the International Student and Scholar Office at [email protected] for more information about the COF process and to receive a copy of the form.
The Certificate of Finance (COF) must identify monies readily available for the first year of study and document additional funding for the duration of the student’s program. Most international applicants, depending on anticipated living arrangements and the number of family members accompanying them to the United States, will need to identify available funds of around $34,000 USD to satisfy this requirement.
At this time, accepted international applicants living outside the United States must also submit a $2,000 USD tuition deposit (partially refundable) before the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) needed for a student visa will be issued (students living in the United States should submit a $125 deposit).

Visa Requirements

Trinity is authorized under U.S. law to enroll non-immigrant alien students; however, these U.S. laws are becoming increasingly stringent. International students must enter the United States with an F-1 visa, which is granted by the U.S. government. Applicants already in the United States in a visa category other than F-1 (including F-2, B-1, and B-2) may be admitted as Visiting Students or part-time students for credit depending on visas as long as the studies are not the primary purpose for being present in the U.S. Failure to observe this limitation will place one’s visa status in doubt and could jeopardize a student’s ability to secure an F-1 visa in the future should their educational goals change.
A U.S. Immigration Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) will be issued by Trinity, enabling the international applicant to apply for an F-1 student visa, after the following have been met:
  1. The individual has demonstrated English language competence meeting or exceeding Trinity’s standards
  2. The individual has been admitted as a student
  3. The individual has demonstrated adequate financial resources through a Certificate of Finance
  4. The individual has submitted a $2,000 USD tuition deposit
In accordance with U.S. immigration law, Trinity does not allow non-immigrant aliens to register as full-time or degree-seeking students without an F-1 visa. Permanent residents are exempt from these limitations, as are certain other visa statuses (i.e., R-1 or H1B). Further questions regarding visa status and eligibility to study at Trinity may be directed to Trinity’s International Students & Scholars Office. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain legal immigration status.

Application Requirements

Once we receive the following items, your application will be complete and reviewed for admission:
  • Submit your application
  • The financial verification process requires submission of a Certificate of Finance. This certificate verifies that you will be able to afford the cost of attending Trinity International University. This will be factored into the financial verification process. Please contact the International Student and Scholar Office at [email protected] for more information regarding the Certificate of Finance completion process.
  • Submit official high school transcripts (2.5 GPA required). If your education was completed outside of the United States or at a non-English speaking school, your transcripts will need to be submitted through a foreign credit evaluation service. Examples: World Education Services, InCred, or Educational Credential Evaluators.
  • Submit official college/university transcripts if you have previously attended a different college or university (these must also be translated and evaluated by WES or ECE).
  • Submit scores from the TOEFL exam if English is not your native language or your high school/secondary school was not taught in English. The online test score must be a minimum of 71.
Questions? Contact us at [email protected]

Find Out More About...

Online Campus

Here for you
every step of the way!

Our Admissions team is ready to walk alongside you as you begin your academic journey. Schedule an appointment with them today!