Sylvie T. Raquel, PhD
Professor of Biblical Studies
Faculty Since 2004
BA, East Texas Baptist University
MDiv, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
PhD, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
Before coming to Trinity, Dr. Raquel taught at East Texas Baptist University, Nunez College, New Orleans Baptist Seminary, and Xavier University in New Orleans. She specializes in New Testament Textual Criticism and has researched at the Center of New Testament Textual Studies in New Orleans.
She enjoys mentoring her students and involves them in papyrology research and includes them in professional presentations. She mentored several graduate students in teaching theological studies. She also conducted several trips to Israel where students learned about the geography, archaeology, and geopolitical situation of the country.
Dr. Raquel truly enjoys mentoring her students spiritually. They know that her office door is always open if they need a listening ear, prayer, or personal advice. Often these sessions extend beyond her usual office hours.
Dr. Raquel’s heart is for the Church and missions. She is fluent in three spoken languages (English, French, and Spanish) and uses that knowledge for the Kingdom of God. She worked in three different international churches in the areas of youth ministry, discipleship ministry, and prison ministry and also co-founded two ESL ministries. She participated or led missions trips to Kazakhstan, France, Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, Zambia, and India, as well as within the U.S. A. She is now looking into translating Bible resources in French and teaching online Spanish theological studies.
Dr. Raquel is working on several upcoming publications and projects:
- Co-editor of the book, “Teaching the Bible in the Undergraduate Classroom,” Vol. 3, with SBL Publications
- A New Testament editor of “Conversations with the Biblical World,” a journal of the Midwest Society of Biblical Literature
- Book “The Text of Matthew in the Writings of Origen,” in the NTGF series of SBL Press
- Works with the Egypt Exploration Society on an unpublished papyrus
She also wrote several chapters, articles, and book reviews:
- Chapters in books such as “Scribal Culture and the Theology of Scriptures” in the Reliability of the New Testament, Fortress Press, 2011
- Articles and essays for the Lexham Bible Dictionary, the Quest Study Bible, and journals
- Book reviews for the Review of Biblical Literature
Dr. Raquel regularly attends and presents papers at her professional societies
Awards, Affiliations, and Achievements
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute of Biblical Research
- Co-Chair of the “Teaching the Bible in Undergraduate Liberal Art Schools” for the National Society of Biblical Literature meeting
- Chair of the “Textual Criticism and Papyrology” section of the Midwest Society of Biblical Literature
- Scholar mentor for the GSI and is now a scholar mentor for the MOTB
- GSI Mentor Award, 2014, 2012
- Regents' Prize for Excellence in Academia, TIU, 2012
- Awarded or Nominated for Who's Who in Education, 2011-2020
- Nominated for Who's Who Among College Professors, 2007-2010