The Highway Community, in Mountain View, CA, is a thriving church who values community, truth, authenticity, and hope. We strive to implement all of these values in every aspect of our existence as we seek to lead and guide those to knowing Jesus more and more.
About the Lead Pastor:
At The Highway Community, we are looking for someone who is a dynamic and intelligent leader, but also someone who is one of us. They will challenge and guide our church into the next season of faithfulness and growth, and be an example of Christ to our community.
The Lead Pastor’s Responsibilities Include:
- Vision: The lead pastor is the catalyst for creating, developing, communicating, and stewarding the overall vision, values, direction, and ministry of the church, in collaboration with the staff team.
- The lead pastor will build on the current foundation of vision and mission at Highway, while strategically and discerningly leading the community into the next chapter of our community’s story.
- Teaching and preaching: The lead pastor oversees the teaching and preaching ministry, and develops a theologically and biblically centered curriculum that both supports the church’s vision, and addresses the spiritual and felt needs of the community.
- The lead pastor oversees and is responsible for Sunday worship gatherings.
- The lead pastor works with and develops others in a preaching rotation, giving both opportunities and mentorship to others as needed to teach and develop their skills.
- Leadership: The lead pastor models a team-oriented, collaborative leadership environment that utilizes the gifts and strengths of the staff and church community in the pursuit of the church’s vision.
- The lead pastor oversees the staff team and culture, and the training and development of the staff team, including a commitment to the ongoing journey of spiritual and missional formation.
- The lead pastor advocates for the staff with the Shepherd’s Team, and collaborates with the Shepherd’s Team to determine present and future staffing needs.
- The lead pastor advocates for, promotes, supports, and encourages the various ministries of the church.
- Governance: The lead pastor leads the Shepherds Team, which is the ruling board of The Highway Community, and collaborates with the chairperson, vice chairperson, and associate staff shepherd to architect the Shepherd Team culture, and plan and facilitate all Shepherd’s meetings.
- The lead pastor facilitates the annual Shepherd’s nomination process, and leads the annual Shepherds training cohort for nominees.
What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Lead Pastor:
Education & Experience
- Under-grad degree required
- MA or MDiv seminary degree required
- Leadership experience required
- Multi-ethnic experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to be transparent
- Ability to be vulnerable
- Gifted teacher
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Missional imagination
- Humble confidence
- Culturally aware
What it’s Like to Live in Mountain View, CA:
With a population of 82,376 and located in Santa Clara County, this wonderful city of California got its name for its breathtaking views of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Speaking of the outdoors, the county is home to 130 summits, ranges, ridges, trails and many other mountain features. Many visit the area for its views, hiking, shops, weather, and its variety of fun things to do. Mountain View is a great place to put down your roots and raise a family, especially with all of the memories and adventures you will make in this city!