San Francisco Chinese Baptist Church (SFCBC) Senior Pastor – Bilingual (English & Cantonese)
The SFCBC Bilingual Senior Pastor assumes the spiritual leadership role of San Francisco Chinese Baptist Church. He leads by setting examples of Christian living for others to follow. He equips the lay people of the congregation as they carry out the church’s ministry. The Senior Pastor leads the church in worship and outreach, and provides pastoral care to people in need. As head of the pastoral team consists of Associate Pastor, English Ministers, Administrative Assistance; the Senior Pastor works closely with the Board of Deacons, Church Council, and various committees to carry out the church mission towards the realization of the church vision. The Senior Pastor strives to provide for the spiritual growth of individuals, and discerns God’s words for both the English and Chinese congregations. While ultimately accountable to God, the Senior Pastor reports to the Board of Deacons. With these defined roles above, the Senior Pastor’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
1. Preaching and Worship:
· Preaches in both the English and Chinese worships. The Senior Pastor may delegate some of the preaching duties to the Associate Pastor, English Ministers, laypeople, and outside speakers.
· Works with Worship Committee to develop worship themes and schedule.
· Encourages laypeople to take part in worship as worship leaders, praise teams, ushers, scripture readers etc.
2. The Ministry of the Laity:
· Works with church leaders to identify the spiritual gifts and abilities of people in the congregation; and provides shepherding, mentoring, training, and nurturing for those involved in various ministries.
· Consults regularly with church officers and staff in the planning and promotion of church programs such as summer camp, VBS, special outreach etc. Provides guidance and support as needed.
· Offers spiritual guidance to those seeking such assistance.
· Encourages spiritual growth among the members of the congregation.
· Provides discipleship training and lead prayer meetings.
· Allots specific time for personal active devotional life and intercessory prayer life for personal holiness and integrity.
4. Pastoral Care:
· Develops supportive relationships with individuals in the congregation.
· Provides counsel and assistance to people going through life transitions such as marriage, the birth of child, and the death of a loved one.
· Makes himself available to individuals in times of crisis and intense need.
· Demonstrates love, care, and willingness to help through regular visits to homes, hospitals, and other care facilities.
· Motivates church congregation to fulfill prayer requests and to offer assistance to the ones in need.
· Oversees the administrative functions of the church in collaboration with the church staff and officers.
· Provides supervision, coaching, supports, feedbacks, and performance evaluation for church staff.
· Works with various committees to ensure the effective management of church functions and use of church resources.
· Personal computer skills and proficiency in email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and video conferencing.
· Oversees efforts to reach out to local residents and to follow up with visitors to the worship service.
· Assures that outreach is done consistently and effectively.
7. Community and Denominational Relationship:
· Cultivates relationships on behalf of the church with Southern Baptist Convention affiliates.
· Connects appropriate persons in the congregation with community concerns.
· Works with other Christian organizations for evangelism and relief efforts.
8. Professional Development:
· Engages in professional development activities such as training seminars, denomination convention, and pastor’s retreats etc. on a regular basis.
· Having pastoral mentors is highly recommended.
At pre-arranged time intervals, the Pastoral Committee appointed by the Board of Deacons will consult with the Senior Pastor regarding the state of the church ministry. This consultation session may include goal setting for the church as a whole to meet her mission and objectives. The Senior Pastor and the Pastoral Committee shall evaluate the overall effectiveness of the church in reaching these pre-set goals, and to make recommendations to the Board of Deacons and the Church Council as required for improved effectiveness. One of the benefits of this process is to promote continual communications.
While the above job description seeks to summarize the major responsibilities of the SFCBC Senior Pastor, other concerns and issues may arise that may require the above job responsibilities to be adjusted. If and when such a need arises, the Senior Pastor will consult with the Board of Deacons as to the nature of those adjustments. Major changes may need the approval of the congregation.
The desirable candidate shall be a Baptist or like-faith ordained minister with at least five years of pastoral experience, preferably in a bi-lingual ministry; and possesses of a Master of Divinity degree from an accredited seminary. Fluency in Cantonese and English.
Please submit resume and references to:
Mrs. Cecilia Lo
San Francisco Chinese Baptist Church
1811 – 34th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122
e-mail: [email protected]