Summary of Position
The Pastor of Family Ministry will be an advocate for all generations within the church and will oversee the structures and atmosphere of the church to ensure that the family of God is working together to make disciples of the next generation. He is first an advocate for the young (children, youth, and early adults) because these are the people who are usually the least knowledgeable and least experienced in the Christian life. He is next an advocate for the parents of these young people because they are in the greatest position to influence the young. He is third concerned for other mature adults because they have an important role in the discipleship and mentoring of parents and young people alike.
Areas of Responsibility
The Pastor of Family Ministry will oversee the discipleship systems from cradle to college and to their parents. The Pastor will work closely with the adult discipleship leaders to ensure that parents are prepared to lead their children and that young people have spiritual mentors when their parent cannot be the model.
• Oversee relational, engaging ministries to children and youth.
• Ensure that the curriculum used at each level of spiritual development connects to the next.
• Ensure that ministry leaders connect regularly to the homes, so parents experience a clear partnership in the discipleship of their children.
• Develop and expound a vision that leads to a focus on teaching Bible knowledge and demonstrating living Christian faith through the relational interaction between the pastor, other leaders, and the young.
• Help our youth and families to develop a heart for the lost and the ability to share their faith even at a young age.
• Develop and implement a plan for on-going parent training and encouragement.
• Oversee training that leads parents into a biblical study to help them understand their role and responsibilities and to lead the next generation down the path of discipleship.
• Coach parents and children privately on specific issues in their family.
• Encourage intergenerational gatherings to help the young and all generations to recognize how God is working in the whole family of God.
• Work with the senior pastor and other ministry teams to ensure that there are opportunities for all generations to worship, learn, and serve together.
Equipping and Encouraging Parents
• Work with ministry leaders to bridge the gap between what children and youth are learning in their programs and what adults are learning in theirs.
• Guide ministry leaders in selecting or developing a curriculum that is cohesive from birth to adulthood and that helps parents to complement the church learning with home learning.
• Develop channels of resources that allow the parents to lead in their home in such a way that corporate unity is maintained.
• Work together with the Senior Pastor as a ministry team to serve the people of HCC
• Be verbally and visibly supportive of HCC’s Statement of Faith, as well as other HCC programs and ministries
• Develop strategic partnerships with like-minded Christian organizations and churches (FCA, AWANA, etc.)
• Regularly participate in Christian Education, weekly Staff meetings, and monthly Elder Board meetings
• Fill the pulpit as needed (note: regular pulpit preaching is not a primary function of this position)
• HCC Board of Elders with day-to-day coordination of activities with the Senior Pastor
Direct reports from:
• AWANA Commander
• Christian Education Elder
• Nursery Director
• Family Bible study leaders
• Youth Group leaders