Meet First Church of God:
The First Church of God of Columbia City, Indiana has been a steadfast presence in the community since 1885, sharing the love of Jesus to anyone and everyone. On Sundays, visitors can expect a warm welcome, an engaging service, and relevant teachings, as well as opportunities for prayer and fellowship. With a rich history and commitment to serving the community, the church is deeply invested in providing hope and Christ-centered fellowship to the community.
First Church of God is a thriving and welcoming church with many valuable qualities, including a range of ministries for children and young adults, great worship, strong finances, a generous and supportive approach to missions, and a good core of volunteers. They offer small groups for connectivity and have a lot of generational families. The church is also known for supporting those dealing with grief and offering opportunities to engage with the larger community, as the largest church in the area. Many people find a sense of connection and belonging here, and the church hopes to continue its legacy of providing hope in their community for many years to come.
About the Senior Pastor:
First Church of God is searching for a Senior Pastor to oversee the total ministry of the church. This person will shepherd the congregation with humility, boldness, and clear vision. The Senior Pastor’s leadership will inspire passion in the church as the congregation is encouraged and discipled under their guidance.
The Senior Pastor’s Responsibilities include:
Prayer and Spiritual Direction
- Model a heart of prayer to staff and congregation
- Discern spiritual direction from the Holy Spirit through prayer, meditation, and study of scripture
Preaching, Teaching, and Worship
- Primary teacher and leader of preaching team for Worship Celebrations
- Teach in classes, mid-week services, and other settings as needed
- Provide spiritual direction for worship arts team in planning worship services
- Work closely and cooperatively with the Elders and Leadership Team to provide direction to the church regarding vision, mission, and values
- Directly supervise Executive Pastor
- All non-clerical Staff positions (Directors and/or Pastors) will be employed, disciplined and released by the Senior Pastor’s recommendation and upon confirmation of the Leadership Team.
- Clerical staff positions shall be employed, disciplined or released by the Senior Pastor.
- The Senior Pastor shall select the staff members to serve on the various teams and committees as herein established, including the Leadership Team, Elder Team, Stewardship Team, Facilities Team, and any other teams or committees established or created under the provisions of the Constitution.
- Responsible for ensuring the availability of Counseling of individuals or couples as needed, either directly or by appointing appropriate resources.
- Responsible for ensuring the availability to Officiate weddings and/or funerals as needed, directly or by the appointment of the appropriate officials.
- Responsible for ensuring the availability of Hospital visitation as needed, directly and by the appointment of the appropriate resources as necessary.
- Participate in conjunction with the Stewardship team and Executive Pastor to approve annual budget
- Participate as a member of the Staff Committee and Appointment Team and other teams and committees as may be directed from time to time by the Constitution.
What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Senior Pastor:
Education & Experience
- Seminary education
- Undergraduate degree
- Ordained or ordainable with The Church of God
- 7+ years of ministry experience
- Possess the educational background or equivalent experience needed to teach God’s word to the congregation
- Must meet and be approved by the Churches of God General Conference (Findlay, OH)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to be a spark plug and catalyst for long-range planning and vision
- Able to inspire leadership, passion, and empowerment of staff and volunteers
- Able to provide direction on larger problems and issues
- Able to relate well with and unify people of all ages
- Gifted in preaching, teaching, and administration
- Has a clear vision and is able to get people on board
- Able to exhort and challenge in healthy ways
- Able to equip and develop the staff
- Able to navigate conflict well
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Life demonstrates a belief that the Bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God
- Dreamer and developer of new ideas and big picture
- Willing to embrace the Columbia City community
- Bold, confident, and servant-hearted shepherd to the congregation
- Cultivator of external relationships, relational initiator
- Vision creator and champion
- Strong teacher who speaks truth with love
- Learner and discoverer
- High EQ
What it’s Like to Live in Columbia City, IN:
Columbia City is a charming small town in Whitley County, Indiana. It is situated between two larger towns, Fort Wayne and Warsaw, which both offer amazing amenities, attractions, and shopping. The population is made up of individuals who cherish and take great pride in their community. It is a close-knit community that is committed to ensuring its continued growth and development. There is a vibrant local economy that is supported by numerous shops, restaurants, bakeries, and small businesses. These local businesses not only offer a unique shopping and dining experience but also contribute to the homey feel of the town.
One of the highlights of Columbia City is its recently constructed public high school. The state-of-the-art facility is innovative, modern, and equipped with cutting-edge technology. It is a testament to the town’s commitment to education and the success of its students. Additionally, Columbia City has a low cost of living, which is 7% below the national average. This makes it an affordable place to live, work, and raise a family.
Columbia City is an ideal location for those who appreciate small-town living but also want to have access to major events and activities. It is situated within a 20-minute drive to a wide range of events and attractions, including concerts, sports games, museums, and more. As a church in the area, First Church of God is proud to be a part of the community and love the people of Whitley County. Overall, Columbia City is a beautiful town that offers a high quality of life, excellent educational opportunities, and a thriving local economy.