God has planted Calvary in a location with an incredible opportunity to minister to college students. Nearly 40,000 college students live within walking distance of Calvary Tuscaloosa. The College Pastor for Calvary will seek to reach, evangelize, and disciple these college students from the University of Alabama, Stillman College, and Shelton State Community College.
Calvary has a long history of serving college students through its thriving college ministry (The Well). Calvary is now looking for its next leader to lead this ministry into the future.
PRIMARY GOALS & INITIATIVES:
- Cultivate the continued growth of Calvary’s college ministry.
- Get involved on the college campuses and form fruitful relationships with students.
- Coordinate impactful opportunities for college students in worship, group life, and service to those in need.
- Help generate meaningful connection of college students to the ministries and people of Calvary.
- Mentor, disciple, and prepare college students to use their gifts, talents, and education to serve Jesus and the church beyond graduation.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive college ministry strategy that aligns with the mission and vision of Calvary Baptist Church, and includes evangelism, discipleship, and leadership development.
- Build relationships with college students, including with regular involvement in campus activities and events.
- Plan and execute weekly college gatherings (The Well) that include worship, teaching, and fellowship.
- Provide leadership and direction for college small groups, and recruitment and training of small group leaders.
- Disciple and mentor college students, helping them grow in their relationship with Christ preparing them to lead and serve in the church, on the campus, and throughout the world.
- Collaborate with other ministries within the church to provide opportunities for college students to serve and participate in the life of Calvary.
- Work with church leaders to identify and prepare college students for missions and church planting opportunities, including developing partnerships with sending organizations and coordinating training and support for teams.
- Involve adults in the church to mentor and disciple college students.
- Develop and administer an annual college ministry budget.
- Participate in hospital visitation, as requested, and on-call weekends on a rotating basis.
- Work within the boundaries of the Bylaws, Policies and Procedures.
- Supervise all paid workers in the college ministry which includes but is not limited to the administration of policies and procedures, maintaining up-to-date job descriptions, annual evaluations, and recommendations for budget consideration.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Pastor.
ESSENTIAL TRAITS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A deep and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Seminary degree and previous experience on a church staff required. Experience in college ministry or a related field is preferred.
- Set an example for others to follow. It is essential for someone in leadership to be a role model and consistently walk with the Spirit. This may be expressed by: transparency in a personal relationship with Christ, intense prayer life, continual dependence on grace, having servant-heart for others, strong team work ethic, flexibility, teachability, authentic love for non-believers and a desire to see them know Christ, balanced relational life with family and others, and a balanced financial condition.
- Effective communicator (verbal, written, and body language), self-motivated, and organized
- Ability to successfully lead and motivate teams.
- Teachable spirit, with ability to submit to Senior Pastor and decisions made by Calvary’s governance teams.
- Effective interpersonal, pastoral, and relational skills. Humble and especially relatable to students and college volunteers.
- Build a healthy and respectful relationship with fellow staff members, displaying servant leadership.
- Theological perspective that is aligned with Calvary Baptist Church.